A smiling face can make several situations better. Even if you are in not so good mood and someone comes and talks to you with a broad smile on your face, it will instantly change your mood. However, even if we value smiles, do we pay a lot of attention to our dental health? And as we talk about dental health, we need to know that dental checkups and procedures are as costly as other medical procedures. What do you do in that case? Just leave it like that? Well, no! You can buy a health insurance policy that covers dental expenses.
Nevertheless, you need to be aware of the fact that you will not come across a specific dental health insurance policy but you can a health cover that supports dental procedures and expenses related to it. One of the main reasons for excluding dental treatment from health insurance policies is that dental procedures are considered cosmetic in nature. Before we start talking about the dental health cover, let us first discuss dental treatment.
What are the types of dental treatment?
Dental treatments are mainly of two sub-categories. Here are they mentioned below:
Cosmetic reason: The majority of the dental procedures that are carried out in India are due to cosmetic reasons. People with non-aligned teeth mostly choose to get dental procedures done so that they look good while smiling. Since no health issue is involved in this, insurance companies do not support this. Therefore, there is no insurance coverage involved. The types of cosmetic dental procedures are implants, aesthetic, braces, and many more.
Health reason: Another reason for which people opt for dental procedures is health reasons. Teeth getting harmed in an accident, tumors, dental infections are some of the reasons for which dental procedure is required. Under this category, some insurance companies provide coverage.
Let us now take a look at the dental insurance plans available in India.
ICICI Prudential Health Saver
This health insurance policy provides coverage to people and their respective family members, in case they are hospitalized. The policyholder can go ahead and avail of the reimbursement for the expenses that are not covered under the benefit of hospitalization. The diagnostic costs, pharmacy expenses, and dental costs are also covered; however, these are non-hospitalization expenses.
To avail of the dental coverage under this policy, the policyholder has to meet certain conditions, which include:
- The policyholder has to complete three years of buying this policy
- Under the Health Savings Benefit, only one claim can be made. This may include non-hospitalization costs in a policy year
- The proof of expenditure for the treatments have to be submitted
- The minimum amount that you can claim for this purpose is INR 1,000
- The maximum amount that you can claim on your dental treatment depends totally on the policy year. During the 4th and 5th years, 20% of the health fund can be claimed, during the 6th and 10th years, 50% of the health fund can be claimed, on completing the 11th year, you can claim 100% of the health fund.
Bharti AXA Smart Health Insurance Policy
It is an all-inclusive health insurance policy that provides coverage for regular hospitalization costs along with day care treatments, out-patient emergency treatments, treatments for critical illnesses, etc. Apart from this, out-patient dental emergency treatments were the result of an accidental injury.
Dental coverage details under this policy
- The coverage is provided for treatments that are conducted by a dentist in an emergency situation
- A policyholder can avail of the benefits under the follow-up treatments for up to 15 days
- The policyholder can find out the limit for dental coverage by going through the policy.
Apart from these two, you can find out about more health insurance policies that provide coverage for dental treatments by visiting the website of IIFL.