Have you ever realized all the things you can make with honey at home?
Honey is insanely delicious, a natural sweetener, and boasts incredible health properties. It’s also a wholesome blank canvas.
It can be a wonderful start to an innovative meal. You just have to get a bit creative and pick up the right supplies!
Honey itself is available at just about every grocery store, farmer’s market, and bodega at every price point. Ideally, make sure you only use 100% pure honey when making your own honey recipes at home.
Making your own honey requires a beehive kit and, you guessed it, bees.
Pick up a few mason jars to store the honey if you feel inspired to make any of these recipes.
Here are four unique ways to make your own honey at home.
If you like the flavor combination of spicy and sweet, you’ll flip for this spicy honey recipe.
4-5 peppers of your choice, like habanero, roughly chopped
4-5 small dried chili peppers of your choice, like Thai chilies or chile de Arbol, also roughly chopped
12 ounces of honey
- Add the honey and chilies to a saucepan and simmer over medium heat for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool completely.
- Remove chili pieces from the honey.
- Store in a mason jar in the fridge until ready to use.
You can use this spicy honey as a coating for crispy chicken wings, as the sauce for a spicy shrimp or tofu stir fry, and as a marinade for pork ribs.
Infusing honey with leftover herbs is a smart way to reduce waste while making something glorious in the process. If you’re not crazy about super sweet foods, you’ll appreciate the savory addition of herbs.
With this infusion, you let the honey, herbs, and time do all the work, as there is no cooking required.
1 cup of honey
½ cup of leftover herbs of choice (we prefer mint, rosemary, sage, lavender, oregano, thyme, or chamomile)
- Put your clean, dry herbs at the bottom of a mason jar.
- Add the cup of honey, and seal the jar tightly.
- Place it at a sunny window and allow the mixture to sit for one month.
Once your herb honey is ready, you can stir a couple of tablespoons into a mug of boiling water as a special tea infusion.
This honey is also incredibly useful as a new addition to your skincare routine. Use it as a face wash or mask and enjoy its soothing, antimicrobial properties.
This recipe is courtesy of Veriheal and features cannabis-infused coconut oil and honey for a treat that’s blissful in every way.
½ cup of CBD-infused coconut oil
16 oz. of honey
- Gently heat the cannabis coconut oil and the honey in the microwave for 30 seconds until both are pliable.
- Pour them in a blender and blend until they are mixed completely.
- Pour the cannabis honey into a mason jar and let it cool, until it reaches room temperature.
You can store this unique honey in the pantry or the fridge. Incorporate cannabis honey in your skincare routine or drizzle it on toast for an exciting, relaxing snack.
Whiskey Cinnamon Honey
This one is for all the gourmands out there. It incorporates honey, cinnamon, and your favorite whiskey (or bourbon, rye, Scotch, whatever you prefer.)
1 cup of honey
1 bottle of your choice of whiskey (or other brown booze)
3 cinnamon sticks
1 cup of water
- Add the honey, cinnamon, and water to a saucepan and cook until its volume is reduced by about one-third.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool until room temperature.
- Blend it with the bottle of whiskey in a glass pitcher or other container you like.
You can drink this perfectly sweet and piquant honey mixture over rocks.
It’s also awesome with ginger ale, sparkling apple juice, and similar beverages.
With these unique ways to make your own honey, you can go all out and create scrummy, wholesome treats.
All of these options are easy to make, only require a few simple ingredients, and make sensational gifts for loved ones.
Of course, that is if you feel like sharing! Which we kind of doubt will be the case …