Losing data is quite common when you are in a hurry, junking the unwanted files, reinstalling the software, or have a corrupted hard drive. There can be more possibilities as well, which I would love to discuss with you while sipping some hot chocolate because helping you to recover an accidentally deleted file from your macbook is our topmost priority right now.
First of all, there can be countless of methods to recover files from a macbook, but the ones which I have talked about in this article are widely used and 100% working. So without taking much of your time, let us get straight to the point.
Is it possible to recover deleted files in a macbook?
A very short answer to this question is a YES! It is possible to recover an accidentally deleted file from your macbook.
We will be thoroughly discussing that in the next section of the article, but just for the information, these are the following methods to recover data from a macbook:
- By using a data recovery software – Data recovery software is a lifesaver, as when there’s no way left to recover the lost files, mac data recovery software comes to the rescue.
- Time machine backup – Apple’s very own backup utility that creates a backup of the files, and allows you to restore them in just a few clicks.
- iCloud – Not everyone uses iCloud because it requires a premium plan after 5GB of storage. But if you have a premium plan, you can backup and recover files quickly.
- Trash can – After deleting a file, it first goes in the trash can and is permanently wiped off the system after 30 days. That means you can recover the file from there as well.
3 Quick Ways to Recover deleted files in Macbook
As discussed above, mac data recovery is simple, if you know the procedure. Amongst various methods, here are the top 3 ways to recover deleted files in a macbook.
Here’s a tip to keep your files safe: take a screenshot. But first learn how to take a screenshot on a macbook pro.
Method 1: Use A Data Recovery Software
There are various data recovery softwares available in the market, one of the best ones among all of them is Recoverit by wondershare. The software offers a clean user interface and can recover more than 50 types of file types.
With Recoverit You can recover:
- Documents such as pdfs, xls, docs, and more.
- Videos – mp4, AVI, FLA, FLV, and more.
- Audio files – AAC, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, MP3
- Outlook and archive – 7Z, WAR, ZIP, exe, 7zip, etc.
- Images – CRW, JPEG, JPG, PNG, PSD, RAW, RGB, and more.
Not only this, but Recoverit allows you to recover data from storage media such as camera, flash drive, external hard drive, internal hard disk, and more.
In the latest version for mac and windows, a new video repair feature is also introduced which by the name suggests that it repairs the corrupted video files.
Furthermore, the entire process is pretty fast, you need to download the software, scan the disk/device for lost files, and once the scan is completed, preview the files you want to recover and restore them.
Method 2: Look out for files in the trash can
Upon deleting a file, it first goes into the trash can, which is also called recycle bin (windows users can relate).
This makes it easier to recover files, as all you have to do is go to the trash can, click on the file that you accidentally deleted, and click on put back. That’s it.
The trash can is emptied after every 30 days, so if you want to recover a file that you deleted a couple of months ago, this method won’t work.
Method 3: Use Time Machine to recover data
Time machine is apple’s own backup utility, that makes backup and restoring of data simple. In order to recover data from time machine, you need to follow these steps:
- Firstly, select system preferences from the Apple menu and click on the time machine icon.
- Now click on show time machine in the menu and then click on the enter time machine option.
- You can now see the list of files and documents backed up. Restore those files that you want.
The drawback of a time machine is that you cannot upload to sync back up to iCloud, which could be more beneficial in case the time machine backup is wiped off the system.
Restoring a deleted file in macOS is easy. In this article, we have talked about three methods in this article among which the best way to recover a deleted or lost file is using a mac data recovery software.
The other methods are useful in case you have a backup, so make sure you turn on the backup option on your desktop in case you format all the data one day.