Various irregularities in your body including nutritional deficiency, hormonal disturbance, or stress can cause hair loss. But the good news is – there are multiple options to combat hair loss as well.
However, for serious levels of hair loss, therapies and surgical options like hair transplants are recommended. These treatments have proven to be so successful, that several celebrities have started to receive them. If you are eager to know further, here’s the Medihair´s list of the best celebrity hair transplants.
For now, let’s find out some tried and tested remedies for hair loss!
5 Remedies for Hair Thickening
Add Protein in Your Hair-Care Routine
A large percentage of our hair follicles are made up of protein. Hence, a deficiency of it will result in hair loss. Similarly, if you want your hair to grow faster and better, providing them their principal constituent (protein) would be one effective trick.
You can both consume or apply protein-rich food to your scalp. Eggs, berries, fatty fish, nuts, and vegetables like spinach or potatoes are rich in protein. Here’s a way to prepare a protein pack for your hair:
- Take 2 eggs and beat them
- Apply on damp hair and scalp
- Leave for at least 30 minutes before washing
- Apply twice a week
Your hair loss might be an indication of nutritional deficiencies in your body. Just like nutrients are essential for regulating other body functions, some are also critical for hair nourishment. A list of them is as follows:
- Biotin: Your body requires biotin for the production of keratin – a hair protein. Adding eggs, carrots, bananas, organ meats, and other biotin-rich foods to your daily diet will contribute in healthy hair.
- Iron: Without iron, your hair follicles will be deprived of oxygen. To prevent this, try consuming tune, lean beef, spinach, or other iron-rich foods.
- Zinc: Zinc is another essential mineral related to hair growth. Eggs, nuts, seeds, oysters, and shrimp are good sources of zinc.
- Vitamin C: With its strong antioxidant properties, Vitamin C guards hair follicles against any attack by free radicals. Citrus fruits, avocados, and sweet peppers are rich in Vitamin C.
- Vitamin A: It plays a role in sebum production which in turn moisturizes the scalp and ensures healthy hair growth. Sweet potatoes, spinach, and sweet peppers are some of the Vitamin A sources.
*You can also consult a doctor to have all essential nutrients in form of supplements at once.
For centuries, aloe vera has been used for curing skin, hair, or scalp conditions. For hair, it is known for treating itchy scalp, stripping off extra oil from hair, and supporting a healthy growth cycle.
Follow these simple steps to apply aloe vera to your hair:
- Using a spoon or knife, remove aloe vera gel from a freshly cut leaf
- Apply the gel to the scalp
- Leave for around 60 minutes
- Wash with a mild shampoo
- Repeat twice a week
Though only 15% of hair loss patients resort to taking medications, a handful of effective formulas are up for grabs to promote hair growth. One of them is Minoxidil. It is usually available in the form of topical solutions. Minoxidil is approved by FDA as an effective treatment for different types of baldness.
On the other hand, Finasteride is another approved oral treatment prescribed only for men. It is known to treat pattern baldness by fighting excessive DHT production.
The stinking onion juice can do wonders for your hair fall. Some studies have even found onion juice as an effective treatment of alopecia areata – an autoimmune disorder.
Here’s how you can apply it:
- Blend some onions and squeeze them to extract juice
- Apply on your scalp and hair
- Let it sit for more than 15 minutes
- Follow the regular washing routine
One thing to remember is that these solutions take time to show results. Also, the results vary from individual to individual. So, don’t haste if the remedy hasn’t shown any improvement at the beginning. Continue treatment for at least a few weeks before switching to any other option.