In some departments, the unspoken rule is applied that the student must write and publish an article on the topic of research in order to defend the final qualifying work. However, university students usually do not have strict requirements for the publication of texts in scientific collections.
- Purpose of writing a student article
- Content of the published work
- Rules for writing a scientific article for students
- Examples of student scientific articles
- Article preparation technology
- The structure of a scientific article for students
- How to choose a place to post?
It is clear that no significant achievements or discoveries are expected from authors. However, a future graduate may have difficulties in writing high-quality and meaningful material. For this, there are various editing services.
Purpose of student publication
First you need to decide why a student’s scientific article is being written. The following goals can be distinguished here.
Publication on the topic of dissertation, diploma work. The published scientific article for the student will be an additional help in defense. Qualification commissions in universities always pay attention to the presence of published works.
Preparation for admission to graduate school. If a senior student has a desire to continue his research career, then it is very important to be published in thematic journals from his student days.
Getting the best grade in a subject. Often, a teacher motivates a student to write an article for a scientific journal in order to earn additional points in their discipline. This is true in different situations. For example, you can write and send an article to a conference as a practice for missed classes.
Get additional benefits. This is important for those receiving scholarships. Their size can increase through participation in scientific work. Many universities run article contests for students, which give the laureates special privileges.
Content of the published work
In most cases, the content of the article is determined by the topic of the prepared master’s thesis or thesis. In general, the material consists of:
- actualization of the problem posed;
- formulating research hypotheses;
- consideration of the studied factors, data, calculations;
- meaningful conclusions confirming the formulated assumption.
For a better understanding of how the content is formed, it is advisable to study examples of student scientific articles (see below). When writing and formatting a scientific article, the student should consult with the supervisor.
Rules for writing a scientific article for students
The point of thesis formatting a student article is not about making major research breakthroughs. Here it is important to show the ability to use specialized terminology, it is logical to go from the formulation of a hypothesis to its confirmation or refutation. At the same time, the student of the university shows that he is ready to adhere to the scientific criteria in the article. General rules must be followed:
- limiting research to a narrow topic;
- strict adherence to the formal requirements stipulated by the editors of the collection;
- the use of a scientific style, terminology corresponding to the chosen topic and discipline;
- timely sending of materials (the printed edition is published on a specific date, therefore there are strict deadlines for accepting the sent texts).
Special attention should be paid to such a parameter as uniqueness (at least 75–80% is considered an acceptable indicator). In order not to receive a refusal from the editorial board, it is necessary to achieve the level of originality that is stipulated in the conditions of a particular journal.
Examples of the design of scientific articles of students
The design of a scientific article intended for publication in a journal must meet certain requirements. Otherwise, you can get rejected immediately, even with the brilliant results of scientific research.
What are the rules for formatting the text
This largely depends on the publication in which the student plans to publish the scientific work. The standard requirements most often include the following items:
- The format of the printed sheet is A4 (standard paper orientation is portrait).
- Margins – 20-25 mm. The distance between the lines is 1.5 spacing. Font 14, Times New Roman.
- Volume – 5-10 pages.
- Information about the author, scientific supervisor, educational institution, contacts for communication are indicated right before the text. No title page needed.
- References to the literature used are in square brackets.
- The list of references is written in alphabetical order by the names of the authors, in accordance with GOST R 7.0.5-2008.
- Tables, diagrams and figures are numbered and signed.
- The title of the work is written in bold in the center of the sheet without abbreviations and dots.
- The abbreviations used are deciphered once at the first mention.
- Materials without authorship (regulatory documents, GOSTs) are not included in the list of references.
How to choose a place to post?
There is no problem with that today. The easiest way is to participate in a student conference. Such events are held regularly and collections are published on their basis. But in order to approach the defense of a master’s or thesis with a more solid background, it is advisable to send an article to a journal included in the RSCI citation base.
Submitting student work to one of the VAK or Scopus journals will be much more difficult, because there you need to go through a serious stage of peer review, which student work is unlikely to withstand. Moreover, only articles, the authors or co-authors of which are candidates or doctors of sciences, or, in extreme cases, graduate students, are allowed for publication.