The Vanuatu Citizenship Development Support Program (DSP), which was launched in 2017, is one of the world’s fastest citizen investment schemes. Foreign investors can obtain Vanuatu passports in two to three months.
However, with the DSP, Vanuatu citizenship is just honorary and does not entitle the possessor to participate in any political life within the country, which means that these honorary citizens cannot vote or seek office.
Please keep in mind that nationals of Iran, Iraq, Syria, North Korea, and Yemen are not eligible for this programme unless they have permanent residence outside of those countries and have lived there for at least five (5) years.
VANUATU CITIZENSHIP BENEFITS
- A country with more than 80 islands in the South Pacific.
- Visa-free travel/entry to approximately 130 countries, including the United Kingdom, Schengen, Russia, the United Arab Emirates, and Thailand.
- Application for an online visa or a long-term visa to Australia is possible.
- Parents, spouses, and dependent children under the age of 25 are eligible.
- Official languages are English and French.
- The Asia Pacific region’s sole citizenship-by-investment scheme.
- There are no linguistic requirements for either residency or citizenship.
- Tax haven with numerous tax breaks:
- There is no personal or business income tax.
- There is no withholding tax or capital gains tax.
- There is no estate, wealth, or gift tax.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CONTRIBUTION
- Clearance for Due Diligence
To get Due Diligence Clearance, the applicant must make an initial non-refundable payment of USD 6,000 for due diligence checks by the Government Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU).
Once the candidate has received Due Diligence Clearance, he or she can contribute to and submit the whole application for citizenship.
The Applicant must submit the following one-time, non-refundable donation to the Vanuatu Government:
- 130,000 USD for a single candidate
- 150,000 USD for a married couple
- USD 165,000 for a married couple with a single child
- 180,000 USD for a married couple with two children
- USD 25,000 more for each dependant
The Citizenship Commission will grant a final approval once the contribution has been provided and the application has been completed. The Applicant can then attend a ceremony to take their Oath of Citizenship as a Vanuatuan. (An oath ceremony can take place outside of the country if certain circumstances are met.)
REQUIREMENTS FOR VANUATU CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION
- Applicants must pay the Vanuatu Government a fee.
- be at least 18 years old
- Have no criminal history
- Submit all essential documentation in English.
- Provide a medical certificate showing your excellent health.
- Due Diligence clearance in 14 days with a passport, police and medical certificates, a CV, and the starting payments
- Payment of the contribution and any outstanding fees
Submission of the entire application
- Within 1-2 months, approval will be obtained.
- To obtain a passport, the principal applicant must take an oath of allegiance in Vanuatu or abroad.
WHAT IS THE VANUATU CITIZENSHIP DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT PROGRAM (DSP)?
The Applicant must make a one-time non-refundable contribution (Donation) to the Vanuatu Government as follows:
USD 130,000 for a single candidate, USD 150,000 for a married couple
USD 165,000 for a married couple with one child USD 180,000 for a family of four USD 25,000 for each extra dependent
ARE THERE ANY RESTRICTIONS ON NATIONALITIES APPLYING FOR THIS PROGRAM?
Yes, the following nationalities are not eligible to apply unless they can demonstrate more than 5 years of residency overseas (this would be appreciated on a discretionary basis):
- North Korea
IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT FOR APPLYING?
The main applicant must be at least 18 years old, although there is no upper age limit.
ARE THERE ANY MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY FOR?
Yes, the main applicant and dependents must each provide a medical certificate proving their excellent health. There is no form for the medical report; it only needs to be signed by a trained doctor. There is also no blood test.
WHO CAN APPLY TO BE A DEPENDENT ON THE APPLICATION?
Parents, spouses, and children under the age of 25 who are dependent on the main applicant may be included.
CAN I EXTEND MY VANUATU CITIZENSHIP (NI VANUATU) TO FAMILY MEMBERS AFTER I OBTAIN IT?
Yes, citizenship can be passed down through generations (conditions apply; it is not automatic).
DOES THIS PROGRAM PROVIDE FULL CITIZENSHIP TO SUCCESSIVE APPLICANT(S)?
This programme grants successful applicants “Honorary Citizenship” with full Ni Vanuatu privileges (i.e. same rights but no voting rights or political involvement).
HOW MANY VISA-FREE COUNTRIES CAN I VISIT USING THE VANUATU PASSPORT?
Vanuatu passports allow visa-free/visa online/visa on arrival travel to over 125 countries, including the United Kingdom, Russia, and the Schengen Area.
WHAT ARE THE GENERAL APPLICATION PROCESSING STEPS?
The procedure for Vanuatu begins with a due diligence check performed by the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) Department. The FIU normally issues a clearance certificate in 2 to 3 weeks.
Once FIU has issued a clearance certificate, the rest of the documentation, together with the contribution amount, must be presented to obtain final approval. This normally takes about one (1) month, which is the time it takes for the Central Bank of Vanuatu to clear the funds. Once the monies are cleared, the paperwork is forwarded to the next Citizenship Committee meeting for final approval (the Committee sits every 2 weeks).
Following the Committee’s meeting, letters of approbation, naturalisation certificates, and passports are issued.
Passports are normally issued three weeks following final clearance.
WHAT IS THE ORDINARY PROCESSING TIME?
From the time of submission to the time of passport transfer, the process takes about 2-3 months. This processing time may vary depending on the complexity of the case.
WHAT IS A DUE DILIGENCE CHECK?
The Due Diligence check is a background check performed by the government to ensure that there is no negative information about the applicant and that the applicant is not politically exposed.
WHAT APPLICATION FEES CAN I EXPECT IN ADDITION TO MY INVESTMENT?
- Fees for processing are $1,500 USD.
- Due diligence fees: To get Due Diligence Clearance, the applicant must pay an initial non-refundable payment of USD 5,000 for due diligence checks by the Government Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) Division.
- Fees for the Oath Ceremony: around $1,000-1,500 USD if held in Vanuatu.
- USD 5,000 if the event is held in Dubai, Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong, or Malaysia.
WHEN SHOULD I PAY THE APPLICATION FEES?
Prior to submitting the application, the Processing costs and Due Diligence fees must be paid.
The money for the oath ceremony can be paid after the final approval.
WHEN SHOULD I MAKE THE INVESTMENT?
Once FIU has given Due Diligence Clearance, the applicant must pay the donation to receive final permission.
WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THE APPLICATION WAS REJECTED?
If the application is denied, the entire donation amount will be reimbursed. Other fees are non-refundable.
WHAT CURRENCY SHOULD BE USED FOR THE INVESTMENT?
The programme accepts the following currencies as payment:
Cryptocurrencies (To be confirmed on a case-by-case basis.) Please inquire with your HLG contact person).
DO I NEED TO TRAVEL OR LIVE IN VANUATU AS PART OF THE CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION PROCESS?
The Citizenship Commission will give a final Approval once the gift has been made and the application has been completed. The Applicant may then choose from the following options:
- attend a ceremony to take their oath as a Vanuatu citizen
- Request that a Vanuatu passport officer visit to meet the main applicant (dependents do not need to travel)