So, you’ve completed drug rehab and are now clean and sober. Congratulations! This is an amazing accomplishment that will change your life for the better. But what comes next? Here are some tips on how to stay clean and sober after rehab.
What To Do After Rehab
First, have a solid support system in place. Having a network of family and friends is a must. You need people that will support you in your sobriety. Have a safe place to live, preferably one drug and alcohol-free.
If you don’t have a solid support system, do your best to find one. There are many addiction support groups available, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous. These groups can provide you with the support you need to stay clean and sober.
After rehab, do not forget to establish a routine. This can help keep you on track and avoid temptation. Some tips for establishing a routine include:
- Stay active. Make sure you are exercising regularly, even if that just means doing some push-ups or jumping jacks during commercial breaks.
- Eat well. Make sure to eat healthy foods, especially ones high in Omega-3s like salmon and tuna. This can help your brain stay healthy and avoid cravings/relapses.
- Avoid risky situations. If you know that being around certain people or going to certain places will tempt you to use drugs or alcohol, avoid them.
- Get involved in activities you enjoy. When you have a healthy hobby or interest, it’s much easier to stay clean and sober.
What Not To Do After Rehab
There are also some things you should avoid doing after rehab. Here are a few:
- Do not isolate yourself. Make sure to stay connected with your support system and participate in activities you enjoy.
- Do not drink or use drugs. This may seem obvious, but it’s important to remember that one slip-up can lead to a full relapse.
- Do not associate with the wrong type of people. The same goes for this as it does for avoiding risky situations; make sure to keep your friends clean and sober, too.
As long as you follow these guidelines, you should be well on your way to a healthy and productive life after rehab.
What To Do If A Relapse Happens?
Relapses happen. So what do you do if one happens to you?
First, don’t panic. This can be a difficult road to recovery, but there are ways to get back on track. Try going back to meetings. It’s often helpful to go back to a meeting and talk about your relapse with others who have been through it themselves.
If you are having trouble limiting yourself, consider getting back on the drug rehab program or seeing a therapist to help you stay on track. When it comes down to it, what’s most important is that you overcome your addiction and stay clean and sober for good. As mentioned earlier, you have many resources available when in and out of rehab. Consider joining The Process Recovery Center where you can receive addiction treatment and proper after-care.