If you’re trying to sell an RV, you’ll likely encounter many obstacles along the way. Although the RV industry is as popular as ever, selling on your own can be overwhelming and challenging. Isn’t there a better way?
Yes, there is! RV consignment can alleviate many of these issues and allow you to sell your RV sooner. Whether you’re looking to upgrade to a new model or shift your travel plans, consignment can be a quick and easy way to make money off your rig. Here is everything you need to know about this process.
For the uninitiated, consignment is the act of giving products to a vendor to sell on your behalf. This process is pretty common with other items, such as clothing or collectibles. The process works the same way with an RV, although there may be a few extra steps involved, which we’ll discuss.
How Does RV Consignment Work?
Here is a breakdown of the different steps involved with RV consignment:
- Step One: Contact a Dealer – One of the primary reasons to consign your motorhome is to connect to a broader audience. RV dealerships will be more than equipped to market your used rig to their customers, both new and old.
- Step Two: Get an Assessment – Before selling your RV, dealerships need to know its condition. While you can sell older rigs with cosmetic damage or minor issues, broken-down vehicles won’t be a big draw. Don’t worry if your RV needs a little TLC; consignors can take care of that for you.
- Step Three: Set Up a Contract – Typically, RV consignment lasts between one and three months, depending on the dealer and other factors. The contract also stipulates the share of the profits. In most cases, consignment fees are a percentage of the actual sale price (i.e., 15 percent). If your RV needs a tune-up, this can be included within the deal as well.
- Step Four: Selling the Vehicle – Once the motorhome is showroom-ready, the dealership will market it alongside other used RVs. If they can sell it within the consignment period, you get your share of the earnings. If the rig doesn’t sell during that time, the consignor can either renew the contract or terminate it. If your motorhome doesn’t sell, you’ll get it back. Keep in mind that you may have to pay various fees for the consignment service and any other repairs done by the dealership.
Benefits of RV Consignment
Since most RVs cost as much as a small house, think of consignment as if you’re hiring a realtor to help you sell your home. While you could do it yourself, there are so many steps involved that it’s often worth it to work with a professional. Here are the top reasons to consign with a dealership:
- Less Hassle – You don’t have to worry about meeting prospective buyers or showing off your RV all the time. Plus, you don’t need to give your address to strangers either.
- Potentially More Money – While you have to pay commission and fees, you could make more from your sale than you expect. Since the dealership has access to a broader audience, you have a better chance of selling the RV for its asking price rather than having to haggle for something lower.
- Sell Faster – If you’re trying to get rid of your RV as soon as possible, you might have to sell well below the market price to do so. However, you could spend months trying to sell your RV by yourself, depending on where you live and the asking price. Dealerships are motivated to move vehicles faster, so you could get paid much sooner than you would on your own.
Other Considerations with RV Consignment
Overall, the most significant downside of a consignment is that you have to pay commission and other fees. So, if you’re trying to maximize your profits, you may want to go it alone. Beyond the cost, there are some other factors to consider, such as:
- RV Condition – If you’re selling an older rig you’ve used a lot, you may want to spend some time fixing it up and making it prettier. While you could pay the dealership to do this, those costs will eat into your profit margin.
- Potentially More Paperwork – As a private seller, you may be able to find a motivated buyer who’s willing to pay cash for your rig. With an RV dealership, you have to provide various documents and go through the whole contracting process. If you want to avoid those elements, you may want to sell on your own.
Are You Looking for a Motorhome or RV, or Looking to Consign Your Old Model? Sun City RV can Help you Through the Entire Process!
Arizona RV owners don’t have to travel far to consign their used vehicles. Sun City RV has the tools and expertise you need to get your rig sold in less time. Bring your RV to our lot, and we’ll walk you through the whole process. We can assist with maintenance or cosmetic upgrades so that your rig is like-new.
If you’re ready to upgrade your old RV to a new one, why not buy a consigned model? You can save money and get the same quality you’d expect from a brand-new RV! Contact us today or visit us in person to find out more!