Picture this – you and your spouse gazing upon the Taj, the epitome of love. Or, if Instagram-worthy pictures are your lure, then the palaces of Rajasthan form the perfect backdrop. If it is yoga and soul-searching that you want to do, then Rishikesh is calling out to you.
In the year 2019 alone, over 1.5 million Americans traveled to India, making the USA the second largest source country for foreign tourist arrivals in India. That’s good news for you. More traffic leads to a greater number of flights at more affordable rates. Read on to find out how to fly from the USA to India cheapest flights.
Avoid holidays if possible
The Ministry of Tourism of India lists August as the Lean month and December as the Peak month for travelers from the USA.
Lean month traveling can offer you additional benefits such as cheaper stays and less crowded tourist spots.
The cheapest flights are found midweek– Tuesdays and Thursdays specifically. In 2021, weekend flights cost up to 40% more than weekday flights.
Book a Round trip rather than a one-way trip
A one-way trip from NY to Delhi costs (on average) $530 whereas a round trip costs (on average) $810 – $900! Go figure!
Book in advance
Book at least a month in advance to avoid last-minute price hikes. Prices can even increase twofold (a 530$ ticket can cost you $1080 on short notice).
Balance cost and quality wisely
Airlines like Air India, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Lufthansa, Qantas, Qatar, and Singapore Airlines offer tickets at affordable rates without compromising quality. Your 20+ hours of the journey will be fairly hassle-free.
Book Connecting flights
Connecting flights tend to be cheaper. You get to stretch your legs out and refresh yourself. If you manage your layover well, you can even experience a new city. A four-hour layover could save you as much as $200.
Choose Port of Entry airports
Port of Entry airports in the USA has higher traffic. Airlines can operate at lower costs from these airports. It usually translates to lower flight charges.
- Online flight booking services offer a platform to compare real-time flight prices. Some services offer cash-backs, complimentary insurance, and other attractive discounts. Be sure to explore all offers.
Flying international can be expensive, but don’t let it deter you from a wonderful, once-in-a-lifetime trip to India. Putting the tips given above into practice is sure to help you fly from the USA to India by the cheapest flights.
Bonus tips for travelers to India:
- Visa on arrival is available for US citizens with the appropriate authorization.
- If your stay is no longer than 60 days and you are there only for tourism purposes: You can apply online for an electronic travel authorization 4 days prior to your arrival.
- There is no way to change your category of travel once you enter. So availing of the right type of Visa is important.
- Carry photocopies of the following: (i) bio-data page of your valid US passport (ii) Pages with Indian Visa – to aid you in case of loss of passport.
- Check the website of the Indian Embassy in Washington regularly for updates on travel protocols.