In the course of its activity, a company may change the place of its dislocation for one reason or another. When relocating, it is necessary to transport the equipment of a server room. Often, people who are far from the IT sphere, move “as it is” without any well-thought-out plan. And when it comes to moving, it turns out that there are not enough patch cords, power outlets are on the other side, the length of the power cords is not enough, the ground loop is not equipped, and other trifles that take time and money.
Moreover, incorrect movement of network hardware can damage it and affect the accuracy of work. Thus, moving the server room is a very responsible step that requires careful preparation and experience. Entrust the server room move only to experienced engineers and system administrators.
6 Steps to Plan Relocation
- Create an inventory list.
When relocating, it is difficult to take everything under control. Even if you keep everything in order, some cables or small components may get lost in a bunch of devices. Thus, before you start putting hardware in boxes for transportation, make an inventory plan. Mark all the devices, accessories, complementing parts, etc. Even the tiniest parts must be on your list.
- Back up your data.
Server hardware is responsible for huge amounts of data; in most cases, this is an important information. Thus, before disconnecting the system from power, make sure to create a backup copy and check whether all data remains on the storage media.
- Ensure a proper cooling environment to meet the servers’ requirements.
Do not hurry up to transport equipment. Keep in mind that computing hardware tends to heat during operation. Thus, after switching it out, let it cool for a while. Sudden temperature changes may cause equipment malfunction. Thus, leave server cabinets with apparatus and let them cool naturally.
- Plan the wiring and cabling process carefully.
You can dedicate this time to planning cable routing at a new location. Having a plan of cabinets and hardware, you can make a layout of racks allocation in the premise and manage cabling routes. Note that laying cords is not just about stretching them along skirting boards. The issue is more complicated. Thus, it requires taking enough time to develop correct cable routes.
- Think of any installation errors that may occur at the new address.
At this stage, a digital layout will also help you identify possible mistakes during installation at a new site and avoid them. Do not neglect and foresee how cabinets will open, whether there will be enough place for the maintenance staff to do their work comfortably, check whether the principles of hot and cold air aisles are met, etc.
- Make sure that you will have a stable internet connection at the relocation address.
Go to a new site and check how well the Internet works. Server hardware operation requires an uninterruptable and smooth Internet connection.
Physical Move of Server Equipment
Upon completing a preparatory stage of server rack relocation, it’s time to proceed to a physical move. Note that telecommunications equipment is stored in cabinets and racks, for example, you can purchase any models on sysracks. Durable and rigid enclosures prevent hardware from most damages; however, it still requires particular caution. Make sure to go through the following steps:
- Prepare for malfunctions;
- Recovery test;
- Contact the suppliers;
- Finish data migration;
- Follow data protection protocol;
- Pack the servers;
- Cable management;
- Make sure the hardware is well secured;
- Relocate servers.
Tricky Points with Moving Server Racks
If you’re going to safely move server racks, you’ll definitely face complicated issues. The thing is that most floor-standing models have legs and are difficult to move since their constructions are not designed for relocation. Modern cabinets are equipped with casters for better mobility. Their designs imply fasteners for wheels that make bodies movable.
However, even if you can move cabinets, imagine how heavy they are; especially if you deal with large and spacious cabinets of 12-24U size. The weight of such furniture filled with hardware can reach 200-300 kg, which significantly complicates the process of server migration.
Another issue arises here. Due to the high weight of server cabinets and apparatus, a possible vehicle gross weight fine can be charged. Thus, check this issue.
Nuances of Safe Transportation of Server Equipment
Sensitive apparatus requires careful handling. Hits, strong vibrations, shocks, and falls inside the vehicle body are unacceptable. Particular attention is paid to loading. Experienced contractors use professional carrier tools:
- special platforms;
- hydraulic lifts;
Lifting equipment allows them to securely and quickly move the equipment from the building to the car, take it out through windows, and load it.
Not all trucks are suitable for server transportation. The carrier equips them with fastening systems and clamps, as well as veneers the walls with soft materials. The movement of the car should be smooth, without jerks.
Additional Conditions for Safe Delivery
- Packaging materials are of high quality, capable of isolating sensitive electronics from shocks.
- The correct microclimate – during transportation, sudden changes in temperature, exposure to moisture, steam are unacceptable.
- Cargo insurance – in case of loss, the damage will be compensated.
- The choice of the optimal route is developed and analyzed by the logistician. If necessary, it will be changed if there is a risk of shaking.
- The team of loaders is professional and experienced. Moving bulky communication equipment requires a large team of workers.
The Cost of Transporting Server Hardware
The price is formed taking into account the following criteria:
- The number of units of transported equipment.
- Dimensions and weight of devices.
- Kind of electronics.
- Remoteness of the final destination.
- The car provided, its carrying capacity, fixing and fastening systems.
- The complexity of the order (the equipment will be carried from a high floor without an elevator, through a window using a crane), the declared value of the cargo.
- Special requirements of a customer to maintain the specified position on the way, to exclude vibration, temperature difference.
Delivery of heavy, sensitive computer equipment is a responsible and complex task. Ignoring the rules will lead to data loss and damage to hardware. Loaning a truck, rigging tools, a crane and movers will be expensive, but this is the best solution if you need to move multiple server cabinets. You should not experiment; it is easier to order quality services, having received a guarantee of safety from the carrier.